The parallel consciousness of self and surroundings... is the key to transforming mentalities and reshaping societies.” -

Edouard Glisant


Sunday 19 June 2011

Stallion Security

The robbers tried to force their way through the front door but were  unsuccessful so they kicked open the metal gate on the side of the house and hacked through the back door. They stole my laptop but were forced to abandon other equipment and a bag full of clothes in the back garden when the police arrived. They escaped over the roof of the outbuildings, apparently over my neighbour Mind Tshabangu’s roof and onto the roof of the Nigerian man who has bought the house next door to Mind and rents out rooms to a constantly shifting migrant population.    
Finally I succumb to pressure and take out a contract with Stallion Security. I remember Sheena Duncan telling me once that she contracted an armed response company on condition that they responded without arms. I try to ask for this but my request is evidently completely inexplicable to the agent.
My first encounter with the armed response squad is when the technicians accidentally set off the alarm while the system is being installed. A burly chap with muscles and tight pants stretched over his genitals jumps the fence and appears abruptly at the front door, his hand on a  gun in his belt. After so many years of being a committed pacifist, I experience this progression (or rather, regression) as a sense of personal failure, a violation of principle, almost a loss of soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment