The parallel consciousness of self and surroundings... is the key to transforming mentalities and reshaping societies.” -

Edouard Glisant


Wednesday 3 August 2011

Sizwe

He was named after Umkhonto we Sizwe like many other young men of his generation. Sizwe was 20 when I met him. He arrived at my gate with a group of five or six other young men, new in the city from one or other rural location. Petrus was the leader of the team in the beginning.

They presented a piece of paper with the words 'Action Security' written on it and Petrus's cell number. A few of us in 8th Avenue decided to take a chance on them although it was evident they were not trained for security work.
When news spread that households that reneged on their agreement with Action Security were promptly robbed, it dawned on me that I was nurturing a group of vigilantes, but by this time I knew them all and it was too late for me to extricate myself.

Over the years the team changed and so did the name of the security company. Some of the gang returned home to Limpopo or Mpumalanga or Northwest Province, generally because somebody was dead or dying. As a poet said, these were the days of ‘love in a time of AIDS’.
Others ended up in jail. The team of six became five and then three - Sizwe, Lucas and the Mozambican Caluti - and then just Sizwe and Action Security became 'Sizwe's Security'.

The Portuguese builder from 7th Avenue gave him a bicycle and I bought a chain for it. Once a day, then once a week, then once every now and then, Sizwe would cycle past and wave.

As more and more cars were stolen, Sizwe's clients dwindled. I was one of the few who endured. He continued to arrive at my gate on the first of every month with a tattered blue receipt book, still bearing the name, 'Action Security' and I continued to pay him.

One starless night in April, he shouted for me from the gate. He was dressed in a leather jacket and a cap and there was a taxi revving in the road behind him. He said he had a problem with rent and was about to be evicted. There was an aura of hysteria around him. I didn't have any money to lend him so I told him to come back the next day.
Weeks passed and still no sign of Sizwe. When I saw Norman, a gardener from Kensington, pushing his lawnmower down Cumberland Avenue, I stopped the car. ‘Any news of Sizwe?’ He shook his head and bending down, demonstrated with his hands Sizwe's swollen legs and feet. ‘I think it's this disease of these days,’ he said, a local euphemism for AIDS.

I sent an SMS to Sizwe's cell number after many futile attempts to call the number: ‘I have known you for more than 12 years, why didn’t you speak to me about your problems?’

Almost a year later, he arrived at my gate. He said he had been treated for TB in a clinic in Mpumalanga for eight months and then went home. His cell phone had been stolen and he had lost all his possessions.


I gave him my bike - a woman’s bike with a white shopping basket in front.

He hasn't managed to re-establish himself as a security company. He says it is because the people who can afford to pay have moved away.  He has a piece job a couple of days a week as a gardener in Observatory and has rented another back room in 8th Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment