The parallel consciousness of self and surroundings... is the key to transforming mentalities and reshaping societies.” -

Edouard Glisant


Tuesday 26 July 2011

Neighbours

Properties here are small and close together. There is a mingling of sounds and smells and emotional  states. It is inevitable. I know when one of my neighbours is ill before I get told. I know when things are going well and not so well.
Rikkia, my neighbour to the right, shares her scrumptious meals generously. I don’t have to wait for Eid to receive gifts of curry and roti and homemade cookies and other delights through the gap in the blade wire fence dividing her property from mine.  Even during Ramadan she calls me to the fence: "Here are some feta pies I know you like so much..." I share too, though not as generously. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't be able to cook the way Rikkia does.   

Rikkia likes flowers – pink flowers of any variety. I buy her a bunch of pink flowers from time to time.

At Easter I give the children Easter eggs and at Christmas, sweets and cake.  When my neighbours celebrate Eid, such a stream of treats is passed through the fence it is almost overwhelming.

Through this sharing we understand one another’s traditions and habits and preferences and also our struggles and the sadnesses of our lives. According to Rikkia, God has a minute by minute interest in what is happening to us too. “The Almighty knows everything about you and me, Melody…” she says with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment